Nana, Jeremiah, and I went up to Levering Orchard for our first Cherry Picking adventure....and what an adventure!!
I thought this would be a fun, easy outing like picking strawberries or blueberries. I envisioned Jeremiah riding around in the wagon or playing at the base of the trees while we climbed the ladders to pick the cherries. I was WRONG! This orchard is on a mountain. The grade was steep and we were wearing flip-flops & birkenstocks! The wagon was definitely not making it up and Jeremiah did not like such a steep terrain with tall grasses/weeds. Thank GOD I had my Ergo in the car, so J (all 30lbs of him!) rode on my front or back almost the entire time. And those ladders I thought we'd climb...they were 12' wood ladders that I did not feel comfortable on. Thankfully we were able to find trees with lower branches full of cherries. We ended up having a great time and ate TONS of cherries. I'd definitely like to go back, but a bit more prepared (like tennis shoes!). There aren't many pictures because I forgot my camera in the car and I sure as heck wasn't going to climb back down to get it.
Here's how J rode while we picked cherries (for 2 hours!).
Nana was sure to pit PLENTY of cherries for Jeremiah. Can you see how stained his face is?
We ended up with 2 buckets that I canned. We've made a few cobblers and they were delicious!

No comments:
Post a Comment